SC - Herman's New Home

Tue Jul 14 19:02:35 PDT 1998

I took a pillow of sourdough (which is probably close to how it would be
transported in period) to Coronation, a distance of about 25 miles.  Gunthar
took it back to Dallas, probably in an ice chest on ice in a ziplock bag.

A pillow is made by using two pieces of tight weave fabric, of which one
should be white (inner fabric).  I used a linen handkerchief for the inner
fabric.

To make the pillow, Put a couple tablespoons of flour about 4 inches from
one edge of the inner fabric.  Place about half a cup of starter in a rough
square on top of the flour.  Put a couple tablespoons of flour on top of the
starter, letting it spill over the side of the starter.  Fold over the edge
of the fabric.  Fold the sides in, so that they overlap, then fold from the
edge mad by the first fold until you have a pillow shaped package.  Repeat
the process with the outer fabric.  Tie the package with string or ribbon.
The starter will plump up to fill the pillow and press the fabric together.
I enclosed a plastic bag so that the pillow could be transported in an ice
chest without being soaked.

For Reno, put the starter in a plastic bag.  Freeze it.  Pack the plastic
bag in a styrofoam box (they make small ones for shipping small quantities
of medicine) with some dry ice and ship it to him.  It should be able to
handle a couple days in transport.

OR, tell him to mix 1 cup of water and 8 ounces of flour into a dough in a
medium size bowl, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and let it ferment on
the counter for two or three days, before using and feeding as per previous
instructions.

Bear