SC - Re: Sweet jerky recipe

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Jul 15 23:05:51 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Korrin S DaArdain wrote:

> A "li'l smoker" or a dehydrator uses heat that will "cook" the meat. My
> dehydrator uses the maximum setting of 145F for making jerky. I think a
> smoker would be even hotter (Don't know, Don't have one). My book on
> dried foods says that 140F is the minimum heat required for the first 3
> to 4 hours and that would likely kill the nasty "wee-beastie's".

The temperature depends on weather you want to dry-smoke the meat for
longer lasting, or smoke it as a method of cooking. The latter can be at
higher temperatures, while the former must be at low temps (about what
you give, I'd say).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
Heisenberg slept here, or somewhere else nearby.