SC - Modern vs. Middle Ages-OT-OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 16 07:01:28 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Keeping the above in mind I would also point out that basic things like ham,
> bacon and fish preservation is m for the most part, in a sorry state of
> affairs in the modern world. Have you tried to hang a ham or a package of
> bacon, or for that matter a piece of smoked fish up in the kitchen lately? Not
> a good idea! As a child I vividly remember my grandmother going to the smoke
> house and cutting off a piece of side bacon then carefully scraping off the
> green part, thinly slicing ithe remainder and frying. A dish to swoon over,
> IMO. :-)
>
> We must be carefully about assuming that electricity, refrigeration and modern
> industrial production have produced a "better" way of doing things. In a large
> number of cases, this is simply not the case. Ease and comfort do not
> translate into "better than" or even "more advanced ways". :-)

On an only marginally more serious note than my previous post on this
topic, I am reminded of a joke I heard as a small child, probably dating
back to the turn of the century (which I, BTW, do not). I suspect Sir
Harry Lauter, or perhaps Stanley Holloway, of being the guilty party...

Your Basic, Generic Scotsman (undoubtedly named either Sandy or Jock for
joke purposes) is on his deathbed. His wife (unnamed) asks him how he is
feeling. He sez he's feeling a bit peckish. He sez that if the wife
werrre tae cut a slice off the ham hanging from the rafters, and fry it,
he thinks he could taek it. She responds (get ready for the big finish
here, folks!) that she is saving it for the funeral. AR AR AR!

Dumb, yes, but it does illustrate al Sayyid A'aql's point about
attitudes in earlier times.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com