SC - Re: Flying to Pennsic

Terri Spencer tarats at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 11:26:53 PDT 1998

Greetings Stefan;

I am (once again) catching up on SC-Cooks and saw your question.  I
drove the 16 hours to my first Pennsic ('94) and have been flying ever
since.  I usually go for almost 2 weeks, but this year I only have 1
week of vacation time available.  I don't know if this will help, it
takes a bit of advance arrangement and a supportive household/friends,
and it helps to live in Atlanta, the air hub of the South, but here's
how I do it.

First, make arrangements for your stuff to drive in.  Mistress
Christianna (head of our household, Mermayde Keep) merchants at
Pennsic and so requires a big truck or trailer for her stuff plus
goods.  Since she also influenced my standards for SCA tenting (she
and her lord take a 10x10 "Coleman fantasy kitchen" pavilion, 10x20
dining pav., 10x10 sleeping pav., "Showerhouse of the August Moon" and
a gas BBQ grill!), it works out well that they help me support that
habit.  My stuff (10x20 pavilion, slat bed, chairs, tables, garb
boxes, harp, coolers etc.) adds up to about a 3rd of theirs.  We plan
the vehicle (this year it's a friend's trailer pulled by Christy's
truck) to hold enough for all 3, and I pay 1/3 of the gas (and 1/3
rental when we've had to rent a truck).

I reserve my plane ticket to get to/leave site about the same time
they do to help setup/pack.  Last year I flew into Pittsburg for $110
rt and they stopped by the airport on their way in/out.  This year
their truck only has room for 2 and Pittsburg fares have sky- rocketed
to $300, so I'm flying into Akron/Canton for $136 and renting a car
for the 2-hour drive to site and to be our errand vehicle during
Pennsic.  It'll cost more, but a 4th member of our household may be
flying/ riding to help split costs.

It's not the least expensive way to go, but total cost ($350 transport
& occupancy) is still way below the average 1-week vacation.  I look
at it as saving 28 (32-4) hours driving time for $12.5/hour.  As long
as I (and my employer) rate my time worth more than that cost, it's
worth it.

Good luck to you in finding a ride and flight.  Its still possible -
and should be easy next year if you start planning now!  BTW - if you
need a ride to/from Akron/Canton on Saturday let me know, I've got room.

Tara