SC - Kvass.

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Fri Jul 17 09:03:40 PDT 1998

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 19:18:38 -0400 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
writes:
>melc2newton at juno.com wrote:
>
>> Here is some documentable stuff on Kvass from the Domostroi, which
>is a  household rulebook from 16th C. Muscovy:
>
>Do we have a more specific date for the Domestroi? I was under the
>impression it was early 17th century...

According to the Pouncy in the Introduction:
	The colloquial Russian in which most of the text was written
	 dates no earlier than the accession to the throne of Ivan III
	 in 1462 and probably not much later than the death of his
	 grandson Ivan IV in 1584. For several reasons - including
	 terminology used, customs described, and the inclusion in
	early manuscripts of a chapter written by Sil'vestr, a priest who
	 served in the Kremlin Cathedral of the Annunciation from 1545
	to 1556 (approximately) - it most likely appeared sometime
	in the 1550's.

>> In chapter 65: Ordinary kvass. To brew ordinary kvass, Take four
>parts  honey and strain it until it is clear. Put it in a jar and
ferment
>it  using an ordinary soft loaf, without additional yeast. When it is
>done, pour it into a cask.
>
>Hmmm. I see the formula has changed, even allowing for local
>variatons.
>I'm curious as to what role the bread plays in this preparation. There
>seems to be nothing to convert the bread's starches to sugars, and
>since
>it's baked, I doubt yeast comes from it.

I don't know as I haven't tried it yet. Maybe the bread gives the yeast a
chance/place  to start?
>Adamantius
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com