FW: SC - People's size

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Fri Jul 17 10:33:18 PDT 1998

Gunther said:
For those of you who are only interested in cooking matters we can carry
this discussion over to diet and size. I've heard the ruling class was
physically larger in many instances because they generally ate better than
those they ruled. Any comments?
I read an article about 15 years ago or so about a study that had been done
in Japan on people who had been born after the end of WWII comparing size
and weight to both people born in Japan prior to the war and contemporary
people in the United States. The results IIRC were that those who lived in
areas where they were exposed to our western diet were both heavier and
taller than those from isolated areas, both sets of Japanese were heavier
and taller than the prewar people and the gap in average weight and height
comparing Japanese and Americans was smaller but still existed. I can't
remember who did the study but would love to see the results of a follow up
of the following two generations.
The gist of the matter was that our American diet tends to add more height
and weight than that of pre-War Japan. More current studies of Mediterranean
versus American diets have show size differences as well.