SC - Spices, pantry and import of each

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Fri Jul 17 12:17:21 PDT 1998

<<
 I figure that the list of general must haves includes

 SPICES:  saffron, grains of paradise, black peppercorns, galingale,
 cardamom, salt, cubebs

 Additionally, as available for purchase, or in an herb garden:
 FRESH HERBS  garlic, sage, rosemary, ginger, borage, (No one
 mentioned) Rue, chervil, marjoram,

 CONDIMENTS: verjuice, vinegar, garum/liquimen
      Everyone's going to have slightly different prefferences on the
listings, depending on what sources they use most. My slight adjustments would
include moving ginger to the (Dried) spices list, dropping the cubebs, and
adding cinnamon, cumin and corriander. In the fresh herbs, I'd drop borage and
add parsley, thyme, mint and hyssop--and, reluctantly, fresh corriander (I
hate it, but it *was* pretty popular......). I'd probably add mustard to the
condiments--I haven't seen it *in* that many dishes, but it's easy to get and
so *good*. ;-)

         Ldy Diana