SC - sign-on package?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 13:22:37 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/19/98 4:01:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
taltos at primenet.com writes:

<< could someone explain that "course/remove"
 thing up there?  >>

Not I! :-0 Since day one in the SCA I have always heard the word remove used
as a marker for several courses (e.g., individual dishes).  One of the things
I learned on this list is to not use the word "remove." (I also learned not to
use feastocrat but use it anyway until a period word that encompasses the
TOTAL duties of the SCA position that carries that name is produced and
documented. :-))

Apparently a "course" at a feast is a part of the feast that may include
several courses but are recognized as a UNIT by adding a numerical term in
front of the title (e.g., 1st Course consists of 4 courses, 2nd Course
consists of 3 courses, etc.).  To the modern eye the difference between a
Course and a course is the capitalization.  Apparently there is no term in any
language dating from the Middle Ages that differentiates between a number of
dishes being served at one time and a singular designation for an individual
dish served in the course that was ever fully explained by anyone on the list
that has educational background in linguistics either. Seems particularly
strange to me but again all I can say is "Go figure. ". :-)

Ras(spelled A'aql)