SC poudre forte Re: SC - Spice cabinet-what do we stock?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jul 20 09:00:31 PDT 1998

HI all from Anne-Marie:
we are asked:
> For those us who are new, what does go into poudre forte?

Mine is a mix of my own devising, according to spices mentioned in the
poudre fortes and spice mixes of le menagier (1390s Paris), Chiquart (1420
Savoy) and Taillevent (14th century French).
Anne-Maries Poudre Forte...
1 1/2 T ground ginger
1/2 tsp grains of paradise, ground with a mortar and pestle
1 T ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/.2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
 combine and store in an airtight container, away from heat and light.

Its a very spicy mix...great in mushroom pasties, paste en pot du mouton,
wardens in syrop, medieval pasta dishes, etc.

by the way, you can mailorder this stuff ready made from Worldspice here in
Seattle at hill at worldspice.com

I'm famous! :)
- --AMI'm famous!