SC - the experiment

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 20 18:12:38 PDT 1998

Salut!
I have just started an experiment of the Trout in carpione recipe from
Medieval kitchens.

I cut the recipe in half, as I wanted three trout for the test run. One
fish will serve as a control, and shall be consumed tomorrow night.  The
second fish will be returned to the brine after frying, and the third fish
will be left out of the brine after frying.  I do intend to keep them in
the garage while they sit out the week to see if they are indeed still
usable (my faith only goes so far).  I used a lot more brine than the
recipe suggests, as I wanted the trout submerged, and not (as the
redaction suggested) merely covered.  I also found a major problem with
the recipe that will have to be dealt with before attempting the full
recipe...  3 trout take up a lot of space.  6 trout???  I will need to
find a new container in which to do the pickling.  Oh yes, rather than
splash around with water and vinegar, I used my 25% acidity vinegar to
make a solution of closer to 3% acidity.

For my next... adventure, I am going to attempt using some of the
seasonings from dishes that were in the menu I sent out as marinade for
Jerky.  I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Cu drag,
Bogdan