SC - Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras/Carnival and Ducal University

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 07:01:14 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/22/98 3:57:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<< Actually, how widespread was the use of whaling products? >>

According to the documentary it was quite widespread. Incomparable to the
Victorian whaling industry, by all means, but not an insignificant part of a
fishing town's annual "fish" harvest.

<< Is this something our noble houses would have had available to order?>>

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to aquire it. If they did, it was
probably fed to the servants. It is my understanding that  whale "bacon" was
almost exclusively comsumed by the poor in urban areas. Unfortunately, I am
only beggining to look into this subject and currently have litle actual
ionformation at hand.

 << ....<snip>......Perhaps something like the whale oil would have been
mainly
 available to seaside towns, and businesses such as sardines in oil, etc,
 for export inland as finished products. >>

As you can see the possibilities are endless, I was hoping someone on the list
may have delved into this area and share  the information with us. :-)

Ras (spelled A'aql)