SC - Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras/Carnival and Ducal University

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Wed Jul 22 07:42:32 PDT 1998

I understand that the Whale was considered "the King's Meat", and all
whales that were taken or beached in England were to be reported to and
taken possession of by the Crown. The King's men would then distribute
whatever they did not take to the town.
This was in effect from before 1200, AFAIK.
Whale Oil and (especially) Spermaceti were the only really useful
lubricants for a lot of Late period machinery and clockworks. vegetable
oils and most rendered fats break down too quickly under high load.
Whale oils were an important item of commerce, Traded widely, and a
single beached Whale could provide as much as 40 or more barrels of the
stuff.
Ambergris used in perfumery before 1500, and worth a fortune.
Whale meat ( though, I am assured, probably not Kosher ) would have been
rich and high caloric in protein and fat. As I understand it, it was
delicious.

Porpoise meat, would have been easier to obtain, and netted or speared,
as one would any large fish, such as sturgeon, and was apparently common
enough to have recipes in the corpus throughout period. Porpoise was a
favored meat of the Tudors, IIRC.

Brandu