SC - Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras/Carnival and Ducal University

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 22 09:08:22 PDT 1998

jeffrey stewart heilveil wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Gedney, Jeff wrote:
>
> > Whale meat ( though, I am assured, probably not Kosher ) would have been
> > rich and high caloric in protein and fat. As I understand it, it was
> > delicious.
>
> Actually,
> If you look through the laws of Kashrut, you can get away with a lot,
> merely on the fact that the writers of the Torah were not biologists.  I
> am still looking for the mythical four-legged, winged animal myself, which
> for some reason was used in the same sentence as the locust and
> grasshopper.  So when it can to sea mammals, err fish, er....
>
> Bogdan

Hmmm. No scales, although they do have fins. If fish, they need not
apply. If mammals, they don't ruminate or have cloven hooves. There may
be more to that aspect of Kashrut than I'm aware of (almost certainly)
but it doesn't sound, if I can be forgiven the expression, Kosher to me.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com