SC - fetal???

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 09:26:29 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/22/98 11:40:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< Both my Grandfather, who lived in Alabama all his life, and both of my
 fathers-in-law who lived in South Carolina called this "wolf season," and
said
 eating squirrels or rabbits at this time of year could kill you or make you
 mad. >>

The reason that rabbits, particularly, and squirrels as well, are not eaten or
killed in the summertime is because both are susceptible to a particularly
vicious parasite, tullemia, which can be transferred by contact with the blood
of an infected animal. This is why, when I was helping Ras butcher the rabbits
for Will's Revenge ( and Ras was butchering me ;-P ) I wore rubber gloves and
checked every rabbity liver for white spots. We were using domestic rabbits,
among which the infection is rare, but with something that nasty, too many
precautions cannot be taken. Just one contact with a wild rabbit can pass it-
that's why commercial rabbit breeders always have their cages a few feet off
the ground.

The parasite dies shortly after the first frost, which is why the hunting
regulations, at least here in Ohio, are as they are.

Phlip