SC - Re: To be or not to be...an allergy

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 10:42:41 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/23/98 9:58:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:

<< Again I am posing the same question. When the doctors (plural) saw what was
 happening they immediately responded with the dreaded word "allergy". Were
 they all wrong as well? >>

Not necessarily. As I have said before, you may NOT have been aware of your
previous exposures to either that particular drug, or others in the same
family.

Further, if I may quote Brenna,

<Some people use the word for ANY reaction they have to a food.  It may not be
an
allergy, but it is easier to avoid a dish offered by an aquaintance by saying
that
you are allergic (rather than "Sorry, hun, but it gives me the runs bad!")
without
hurting her feelings or shocking her than detailing your ailment in legnth.>

Doctors run into the same problem. It's only been recently that doctors have
been held accountable for what they tell a patient, and just as in Brenna's
(and many other people's case, where they don't want to give a long involved
explanation) case, frequently doctors will give a quickie magic word or two so
that they can get on with their other tasks. After all, time is money, and if
you're wasting their time asking for information you could as easily get from
your pharmacist or library, you're wasting their money. Doctors are human too.

Phlip