SC - Is allspice period?

Sat Jul 25 20:18:04 PDT 1998

I've seen two versions of this.  One says Columbus found allspice in Jamaica
in 1494.  The other says he missed it, and it was found by later explorers.

It was one of the spices used for curing boucan (17th Century).  The first
recipe I know of it being used in is a terrapin soup from the early 19th
Century.  If you come across it in an older recipe it may be called pimiento
or pimento.

Bear