SC - making liver nips

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 27 07:15:04 PDT 1998

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> The lady of whom i have spoken before taught me to make liver nips:
>
>         3 lbs. fatty beef roast (or add a bit of tallow)
>         2 quarts water
>         1 tsp. salt
>         1 tsp. ground peppercorns
>         1 large onion
>         1 beef liver
>         1 1/2 cups plain flour
>
>         Boil the roast and tallow with the spices and onions until very tender, 2 to
> 3 hours.  Remove from the boiler, reserving the stock, and place in a roasting
> pan and place under a broiler to brown.  While the roast is browning, make a
> dough of the liver and flour.  Scrape the liver and work into the flour.  Form
> dumplings from the dough by "nipping" bits about the size of large peanuts
> from the mass of the dough and drop into the rapidly boiling stock.  Serve as
> a side dish with the nicely browned roast.
>
> Very High Cholesterolly Yours
> Mordonna

Okay, so these are liver gnocchi. Kewl! By any chance is it part of the
Celestial Design of the Creator of the First, Proto-Liver-Nip to include
any of the fat floating on the surface of the cooking liquid, or is that
just to help the roast brown and stay moist? Also, does the recipe
really call for 1 beef liver? A beef liver is _big_! Maybe a pound or
so?

Sorry to bug you with these questions, but I'd realy like to actually do
this at some point, and I wanted to be sure I'd be doing it right.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com