SC - Award of interest (long!)

kathe1 at juno.com kathe1 at juno.com
Mon Jul 27 11:32:47 PDT 1998

>I'd like to thank all of you who so kindly expressed your good wishes
>about this...now I'll tell you what _really_ happened!
>
>I WUZ FRAMED!!!!!

And your point is?? That's when awards are the most fun!

>The Order of the Burdened Tyger is in the gift of the Crown of the
>East
>for an event or a feast that the Crown has attended. It may not be
>given
>at the event for which it is "earned", and it is intended for those
>responsible for events or feasts either of unusual quality _or_ ones
>run
>under extreme duress. The BT has been described to me as one of those
>awards one should never aspire to. I mean, you might get one and then
>where would you be? Suffice it to say that you would not have a
>paddle.
>Apparently the rationale in my case was a feast that should, by
>rights,
>have been a total, categorical, screaming, nightmarish disaster, but
>through the exercise of an iron will on the part of myself and my
>crew,
>was instead adequate, if not up to our usual standards.

While it is probably a better ego trip to get a BT for an exceptional
feast, getting one for not allowing a disaster to happen is a *very good
thing*. We all have been to feasts that needed someone like that at them!
Being able to save a feast under duress and make it enjoyable is a great
skill. In the East Kingdom, it's almost a necessity! (For those of you
who don't know, the EK frequently has 200 people at small little local
events. Crown, Coronation and Twelfth Night are nuts. There are so many
people, some of them coming from so far away with so much business to
perform that Royal Progress feasts rarely start on time. I've known cooks
to end up in tears because their first course was rapidly crisping while
their Majesties were tied up in order meetings and court hadn't even
started yet.)

>Thanks again to all for the kind words, but I'm much more buzzed about
>Julleran's Maunche, and the two new Laurels that were made.

Thank you, but don't look down on your award because it wasn't given for
what you would have liked to have it given for! It still means that TRM
were impressed.  BTW, for those out of the East, you can get a Burdened
Tiger more than once, so I'm sure that next time I announce that
Adamantius got a Burdened Tiger, it will be for his wonderful food.  :-)
He really is a wonderful cook.

>Adamantius

Julleran