SC - What to do with the head

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 27 18:30:41 PDT 1998

This reminds me of a cook's jape I committed upon a royal personage some years
past.  The concept was not original with me, I heard of a similar incident long
ago and far away, and decided to commit it anew.

Knowing the timid tastes of our populace, instead of an actual Boar's Head we
served pies of mincemeat to the populace and a paste replica of a Boar's Head
to the High Table with mincemeat inside.  The head was capped with a gilded
Crown, so I bore the Boar to the King Guy, exhorting him to de-crown the
pretender and begin the sweet course.  The king graciously did so.  Being a
good little herald-cook, I announced it to the crowd.

"The King has the brains of a Pig!"

King Guy looks at me.  I look at him.

"I have an amendment to the previous announcement.  The King does NOT have the
brains of a Pig!"

King Guy looks at me.  I look at him.

"I'm leaving while I still have MY head," quoth I, and did so with all speed.

Selene
cook, herald and unemployed jester