SC - Results of: Yikes! I'm teaching a class!

Tue Jul 28 06:28:09 PDT 1998

> My husband really, really liked "Tart on Ember Day", but we both wondered
> what
> the heck Ember Day is--Ash Wednesday was our guess.
>
>From the quick ref, Ember Day is a day of pray and fasting occurring on
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday after the first Sunday of Lent, after
Whitsunday, after September 14 and after December 13.  The term derives from
the Old English, ymbrendaeg, which roughly means, a recurring day.

> I read years ago, I think
> in one of Elizabeth David's books, that yeast dough was used for
> "coffins".
> Was this speculation on her part, since proved yea or nay?
>
> Bonne

I don't recall seeing this, but it should be in English Bread and Yeast
Cookery.

Bear