SC - Bunny recipes?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jul 28 07:44:38 PDT 1998

>Anyone have a really 'knock down dead' recipe for rabbit?  as long as
>I don't have to put
>it on a spit and roast outside its ok.

The best recipie for rabbit I have ever done is out of a Welsh cookbook,
and is called "Hares in Ale".  We have done it with both rabbit and with
chicken leg quarters, and it is wonderful both ways.  Of course, I have
been unable to recover the book from the cook who borrowed it (a divorce,
move, and subsequent pleas to her ex-husband have been unsuccessful), but
I will try to give it to you from memory as best I can.

Hares in Ale - Served with Onion Stuffing

Clean Rabbit of skin, and separate it into portion-sized sections.
(When using chicken, we have cooked the leg quarters both whole and
separated into legs and thighs).
Dust with seasoned flour, and briefly sautee to brown, not to cook all
the way through.
Place the browned meat in a deep roasting pan (at least 3 inches), and
cover with beer.  (Use your own discretion as to brand.  Cheap American
is ok, as it will be picking up flavors from the meat. Don't use more
than necessary to cover the meat, as you want it to thicken.)  (I seem to
recall that the original recipie called for doing this step on the
stovetop, but it works very well in the oven, and is easier to do this
way for large quantities.)
Bake at 350 - 375 for 1 hour or so, or until the meat is very done, and
the liquid has started to take on a syrupy consistancy.  (The flour
coating from the pre-sautee will also thicken the sauce.)
Meanwhile, take several large white onions, and slice them into strips.
Sautee them with butter in a pan until they start to turn translucent.
Take a mixture of breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and saffron, and add it to
the onions. Add some of the sauce from the meat to moisten, and cook
until  the breadcrumbs have absorbed the liquid, and the mixture has
turned golden brown.   This is called a stuffing, but the breadcrumbs are
more of a coating for the onions, and it does not achieve the consistancy
we think of for a stuffing.  I think I would actually use the term
'dressing' instead, as it is a side dish anyway.
Serve together.  You cannot imagine the rich taste this dish has.  The
slow-cooking of the meat with the seasoned flour and the beer produces  a
rich, mellow, almost sweet flavor that is just wonderful.  Sorry I can't
provide the details of the recipie book, maybe I will have to go and
smack Sir Simon again and get him to look for that book.
Mmmmm, my mouth waters just thinking about it (the recipie, not the
smacking!)
	Good Luck,
	(Watch out, Bunnies!)
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies