SC - spice merchants

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 29 22:47:41 PDT 1998

Caroline asked:
>A friend has just asked me about grains of paradise-what it is, and
>where to get it. I told her we had discussed it on this list, and it
>occured to me that I have not seen the list of spice merchants that has
>been discussed. Would it be possible to get a copy?

I sent Caroline a copy of my spices-msg file which contains the info she
was asking for.

Here are some of the files in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of
my Florilegium that might be of interest to those wanting to know more about
period spices and herbs.

capers-msg         (9K)  5/14/97    Use of capers in medieval food.
garlic-msg        (21K)  6/23/98    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.
herbs-msg         (43K)  4/ 1/98    Herbs used in period and how they were used.
                                       Modern sources.
p-herbals-msg     (18K)  1/ 7/98    Period herb books. Modern editions.
rose-water-msg    (32K)  8/11/97    Where to buy. How to make. Rose-water uses.
rue-msg           (24K) 12/22/97    Medieval uses of the herb "rue". Cautions.
saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by Tony Hill.
saffron-msg       (40K)  2/ 4/98    Types of saffron. period uses.
seeds-msg         (45K)  7/10/98    Sources for period plants and seeds.
spices-msg        (97K)  2/ 4/98    Info. on spices, sources for spices.
woad-msg          (33K)  2/27/98    History of woad. Making dyes from woad.

My files are available at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net