SC - OT: Hunyadi Cake - was - Spoon Teasing

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 30 17:03:08 PDT 1998

melc2newton at juno.com wrote:

> Well, now that you mention it, I would love to see a recipe for Hungarian
> chocolate chestnut torte! :P
>
> Beatrix

Awright awright awright!!! Sheesh! (Just kidding, I was gonna post it
anyway...)

>From Andre L. Simon's "Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy", Harcourt, Brace,
New York, 1952, quoted from Evelyn Bach's "Recipes from Hungary", London, The
Shenval Press, 1938

"HUNYADI CAKE

4 1/2 oz. sugar
12 chestnuts
6 oz. chocolate
5 yolks
5 whites of eggs
Jam

Cook, skin, and put the chestnuts through a sieve. Melt the chocolate. Mix the
chestnuts, chocolate, and yolks well together. Whip the whites of eggs and fold
them carefully in. Bake the mixture in two round cake tins. Spread one cake
with jam or whipped cream, cover with the second half and ice."

Don't make this on a really humid day. I'd say the 12 chestnuts work out to
about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups loosely packed, riced puree, so for those are using
commercial puree, act accordingly. I would recommend avoiding sweetened puree,
it'll mess up the sugar proportions big time. The cake tins should be no more
than 8 inches in diameter, 7 is better, grease and line _only_ the bottoms of
the tins with waxed paper or parchment. The sides of the tins should be clean,
not greased. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes; do the toothpick thing
to be sure it's done.

Jam in between the layers (raspberry is nice) and a thick coating of stiff
whipped cream on the outside works really well, unless you are planning to keep
this a day or two, in which case buttercream is a good way to go. Normally
keeping it for any length of time is impossible anyway, in my experience.
People find out somehow that you have this, and it's all over pretty quickly.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com