SC - Kitchen steward.

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jul 30 22:37:16 PDT 1998

hiya from Anne-Marie
Stefan sez:
> Ok, Anne-Marie, I'm asking you to tell us about your Elizabethan banquet.
> I can see this going into my feast-disasters-msg or feast-menus-msg file
> depending upon how things worked out. :-)

I already posted the general info, but you reminded me I forgot the all
important menu!!! Dont forget, every recipe was reconstructed from the
original source, and all the sources were very late/elizabethan European.

1st course:
pear puddings (a spiced meatball, shaped like a pear, complete with stem)
buttered onions (a baked savory of apples and onions, dressed with spice)
chicken and colliflowers (a dish of colliflowers boiled in milk, dressed
with chicken and a lemon sauce)
compound salat (a salat of greens, fresh flowers, and various things)
herbed salmon (salmon stuffed with fresh herbs and poached in white wine
and lemon. served with a vinegar and breadcrumb sauce)
carrot pudding (a baked sweet pudding of carrot and spice)

2nd course:
Dressed Parsnips (parsnips stewed in milk and mashed. yum!)
queens hotchpot (a beef and root vegetabel stew)
stewed mushrooms (shrroms stewed with fresh herbs)
Buttered Shrimps (large prawns, stewed in wine and orange juice, dressed
with drawn butter and orange sauce)
English SPiced Beef (a roast beef, rubbed with spices and marinated, served
with mustard and horseradish)
Cold Chicken Salad (a dish of cold chicken meat, raw apples, onion and
lemon)
pippin pudding (apples stuffed with a sweet streusal thing, baked in cream)

Banquetting remove:
madelines (yep, we found a recipe for "shell bread")
white bisket (aka merigues)
shrewsbury cakes
peach tarts
pear tarts
marzipan fruits
savoy biskets
marchpanes (sugar cookies, with marzipan on top)
french bisket
jumballs, in the shape of pretzels
Digby's very good cake (a fruit cake type unit)
a white leach (milk jello, gilded with edible gold)
fresh oranges and apples
dried fruit and nuts

Before you ask, all the recipes are going to be in a single publication,
which I'll announce when its ready! Really!

- --AM