SC - How about "Cook"?

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 31 05:13:30 PDT 1998

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> >> why are we staying mainly in the Spanish-Moorish-Arab and English and
> French and maybe Hungarian when we could devise a strong term by using
> "Meister?"  It shouldn't be confused with Master/Mistress and could by
> tagged with an appropriate "Kuchener" like phrase. . . .<<
>
> Jawohl!
>
> Regards,
>
> Allison, would-be Kuchenmeister, wondering if there's room for two behind
> that shield
>
> allilyn at juno.com

Bearing in mind that this is purely an intellectual exercise, and I don't care
what term people use as long as no one ever calls me a feast-ocrat again, _why_
is there no danger of confusion between Meister and Master/Mistress? It's just
like saying there's no similarity between Magister and Master. Just a cognate
in a different (albeit _very_ similar) Indo-European language.

Now, I don't care about the Master thing either, since being Master / Mistress
of a kitchen is a transitory state, at least for SCA kitchens, and is not in
any way presumptive of Mastery of Arms, Mastery of the Pelican, Mastery of the
Laurel, or Guild Mastership. Some people are just way too touchy.

This is more or less, to my mind, the same situation as occurred about 18
months (I think) ago, when a family in Scotland was barred from doing business
under their own name, because a large fast-food chain had copyrighted it and
registered the name as a trademark. Even close variations were disallowed as
part of the trademark registration, and the large corporation sued them,
forcing them to abandon their family name as their business name. The family
had owned a small sandwich shop for about eighty years, under the same name.
The name: MacDonald.

On the other hand, if people will insist on being jerks, saying something is
not the same doesn't mean it isn't, to a jerk, or for that matter, to the SCA,
Inc.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com