SC - Competitions?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 4 22:25:27 PDT 1998

Gunthar declared:

>I can understand entering small, fancy dishes that you wouldn't be able
>to duplicate on a grand scale in an A&S. I also think A&S competitions
>are valuable venues especially for artists whose work isn't on display
>as much. Calligraphers & Illuminators is a good example of this.

Yes, but for any of these arts, why does it have to be an A&S *COMPETITION*.
Why can’t it be an A&S *DISPLAY*?

Probably because of the same reasons we seem to insist on having non-period
double-elimination combat tournaments. We, as a group, seem to be unable
to rid ourselves of the idea that there must be a single, overall winner.

In period, tournaments did not have a single, above everyone, winner.
Although sometimes it was percieved ill to actually beat the prince
or someone higher up the hierarchy than you. No, fame and glory and
prizes went to those who impressed those in the crowd or from the
folks you bettered (ransoms).

There is no reason we need a single A&S winner. There can be multiple
winners though, through largess, word fame etc.

Ld. Stefan li Rous, AST, ASC
stefan at texas.net

(And I’m not hiding under no rock.  Well, if there’s some of that
wonderful food of Gunthar’s...and companionable folks in a hottub...)