SC - period snack foods? (was corn chips)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 4 22:35:43 PDT 1998

Bogdan asked:
>Anyone ever tried to make them?  I took a shot in the dark, and it's
>awefully dark out here, especially since I didn't have corn flour... Well,
>I don't think my rustic chips are going to cut it, but if anyone has a
>recipe I'd love the help.

Are there any medieval recipes or evidence for anything like our modern
snack foods? You know, fried dough, lots of grease, salt and flavorings? Or
is this just a late 20th century thing?

Perhaps the absence of maize and potatos makes this unlikely, but there
was wheat, rye and pig skins.

Um. Well pretzels do seem to be period. Is there any evidence of dried
fruit being eaten alone as a snack?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net