SC - Competitions?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jul 6 09:31:19 PDT 1998

> Yes, but for any of these arts, why does it have to be an A&S *COMPETITION*.
> Why can’t it be an A&S *DISPLAY*?
>
> There is no reason we need a single A&S winner. There can be multiple
> winners though, through largess, word fame etc.

My lady is a wonderful Calligrapher & Illuminator but was always a bit leery
of criticism. She would never enter A&S competitions for fear of being embarassed
because she never thought her work was all that good.

A couple of Laurels who she really respected convinced her to enter a Laurel's
Prize Tournament. No competition, just showing off her stuff and getting polite
critcism from experts. She was still very nervous but attended. The expirience
did wonders for her confidence and she has even entered a couple of A&S competitions.
She won one (well, tied for first place) and did well at the other. If any of
you went to this last Gulf Wars and looked at the War Point competition hers was
the fantastic gold-leaf Duchy scroll. She didn't even mean to enter but one
of the entrants failed to make it to the War. She got an "8" with NO documentation
save a picture of a period scroll.

Yeah, I'm proud of her and it was through the aid of some good Laurels and a Prize
Tourney.

> Ld. Stefan li Rous, AST, ASC
> stefan at texas.net

Yers,