SC - Re: gooseberries + jelly

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 6 10:25:52 PDT 1998

> Jeff says that European gooseberries are prickly.  Do the prickles wash
> off? Do they cook down to be non-prickly? Our landlord grew them, but I
> never handled them.  Would the prickles make them more or less likely to
> appear in sauces, jellies, etc.?

Ah, confronted with my own words.  The prickles would be as much a part of
the fruit as the skin, infact, they were most likely modified hairs on the
fruit.  My grandfather was the only one I knew who had played with them,
and he is no longer around to ask.  I do know that he talked about
gooseberry jam for a long time, so my parents tried to make it for him.
They got a lot of gooseberries (the spineless American variety), and made
the jam.  It must have been a perfect rendition, since he said.  Oh yeah,
I always hated the stuff, just that mom used to make it...

Sorry that I don't know how to remove them.

Bogdan