SC - alcohol content in beer

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 7 05:10:07 PDT 1998

Yeldham, Caroline S wrote:

>         My understanding (and its my husband's subject, not mine) is
> that the great change occurs around the switch to glassware for serving
> beers.  When you were using horn or pewter (etc) the clarity of the beer
> was much less important.
>
>         Caroline

I'll go with that assessment. Someone's obviously been reading Clive La
Pensee's "Historical Companion to House-Brewing" ;  ) . I think it's in
the 13th century that we find record of an Oxford brewer being fined and
ordered by the magistrate (assize judge?) that he must let his beer
ferment, settle, and clear for _six_ hours or more. I'd say that would
suggest standards for clarity were different... . However, if you follow
the history (hah!) of the American Budweiser (as opposed to the real
Bohemian Pilsener of that name) you'll see how and why the standard of
total clarity reached new heights, pretty much everywhere beer was
produced in factories, during the Second World War.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com