SC - Clarity of beer

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Tue Jul 7 06:12:26 PDT 1998

Unto the curious and ubiquitous mebership of the Cooks List,

Please do not labor under the misconception that beer was always
sour, murky and low quality before glass containers.  There are literary
references of clarity of the draught that precede glass drinking vessels.

The clarity of beer has LOTS to do with the protein content of the mash
and resultant brew.  It will also be effected by the presence of
infection.  Wheat beers will almost always be cloudy.  Usually part of
the style.  My conceptualization of the sources I have read is that
brewing techniques varied as did the grain bill of the various mashes.
With all the different grains and protein contents, who knows what
could aaand couldn't be done to clarify the beer.  They did use irish
moss ininglass as a fining in several cultures/times, which suggests
that cleear beer was, indeed, a value that predates glass.

Amen :o)

niccolo difrancesco