SC - Re: Food Guide (Silly)

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Wed Jul 8 08:30:47 PDT 1998

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> You forgot to mention the presence of the ghosts of the chickens we've
> allowed to get green and funky in the fridge, and then thrown away...I
> think this is all too frequent in the world we're making for ourselves:
> we have all kinds of plans to live semi-normal lives, but just too
> bloody-awful busy, so the food we buy and store in the fridge in
> expectation of cooking a decent meal once in a while is too often
> sacrificed in the hollow round altar of the trash-god (undoubtedly Barry
> Manilow, BTW).

Ghosts of Chickens past?  Am I glad I am vegetarian so I don't have to see the
Ghosts of Chickens present and future . . .

Barry Manilow as trash god?  "I write the songs that make the whole world cringe
. ."

> Uh, try making a cup of one. Taste it. Chances are it will be bitter or
> tasteless if it has become useless. Depending on how it has been stored,
> it _may_ still be good. I still have some black and some green tea that
> my late father-in-law brought over from China over fifty years ago,
> which is still in excellent shape. It is in the form of compressed
> ingots, pressed into little baskets like a small cheese, and dried into
> cakes. To use it I have to break off a hunk, or I can process an entire
> cake (about a pound, which is a lot of tea) by steaming it in a basket
> over boiling water until the cake is soft enough to break up, crumbling
> it, and allowing it to cool (it becomes somewhat flexible but still
> essentially dry, and dries completely, quickly, when cool). A final rub
> between the palms of the hands to break up any lumps completes the
> process...

I think it just depends on the type of tea.  I have a black russian tea that
dates back to college for me as well, and that's already a ten year reunion, and
it is just as good and strong.  fruit teas, perhaps less of a shelf life than
the hardier ones.  but hey, what a good excuse to fertilize the lawn or add to
the compost pile and head over to your favorite store to try some new teas!  I
highly recommend Chai tea, Botanicals makes a really good one with orange and
chai.