SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #812

Heather Law lynnx at mc.net
Wed Jul 8 15:11:55 PDT 1998

> I was thinking the same thing.  As I cut all the caffeine, alcohol, and
> other things everyone says is bad for a pregnant woman,  from my diet, I found myself wondering how people had healthey babies before all these silly food restrictions came about.
Have you looked at the infant mortality rate in period? Even royal
babies had a better than even chance of not reaching their first
birthday. Both pregnant women and nursing mothers(or wetnurses) drank
alcohol daily-and not just one glass or can a day. Fetal alcohol
syndrome didn't just appear one day-it might explain a lot of otherwise
incomprehensible behavior in the past. Be glad that you are almost
guaranteed a healthy baby if you take care-it's a Twentieth Century,
First World luxury.
Caroline