SC - Fond memories of Sourdough & Childhood

Balano1 at aol.com Balano1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 19:28:10 PDT 1998

Renata - In a message dated 98-07-09 21:25:13 EDT, you write:

 "The starter -- which I guess I'm going to have to name soon;) --
  lives on my kitchen counter and is getting more attention than my cats."

I have refrained till now but I can relate!  When I was a kiddo, my Dad's
major contribution to our culinary life was his sourdough breads, waffles,
Danish pastry's and pancakes.  He always had a pot of sourdough stashed above
the center kitchen (galley) cabinet which we (the kids) knew was untouchable.

Nothing twisted his shorts more than the introduction of new household members
into our home  when they decided to "clean up" and threw out his "smelly
concoction"! (We had a large / flexible household)

Noone else could relate to the depth of this tragedy, but the sourdough
becomes a living being that would not be inapproprite to name.  (Of course, in
Dad's puritanical upbringing, naming the 'dough' was never considered, but it
would have been appropriate.  It had a life of it's own.)

- - Sister Mary Endoline a/k/a (a charter yacht brat from the Caribbean)