SC - Tea Blocks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 12 21:44:35 PDT 1998

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > I probably would have
> > bought the thing except for the fact that they were asking $5000 for
> > it.  That would be one hell of an expensive cup of Tea!
> >
> > Drake.
>
> *I seem to recall Francesco Sirene, Spicer (who sells mail-order spices,
> *etc.[long pepper by the half-kilo!!!] having some of these for sake for
> *a somewhat more reasonable price. Probably not 200 years old, though.
>
> *Adamantius
>
> Sake? I thought sake was brewed from rice, a rice wine?  :-)

Typo. Should have read "cake" ;  ), as in, "tea and cakes".

> In the later portion of the Middle Ages, Europeans grew rice. Was it
> turned into an alcoholic beverage? Would this be a beer? Why is sake
> called a rice wine and not a rice beer? Or do I have this wrong in the
> first place?

Technically sake is an ale of sorts, but it is closer to wine because of
its color, its absolutely still, non-carbonated state, and its lack of
flavoring/preservative gruit (of which hops is the common ingredient in
Europe today, but this was not always usually the case).

> Can you ferment tea into an alcoholic beverage?

I have a friend who uses tea as a flavoring and yeast nutrient in making
mead, when he doesn't use an oaken vat for his primary
fermentation...either would supply the helpful tannuc acid.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com