SC - Jerked Meat

Mon Jul 13 14:31:29 PDT 1998

> Firstly I would like to correct the subject line. Jerked meat is a
> Caribbean
> method of seasoning meat. Beef jerky is what is commonly known as
> marinaded
> and dried meat. I could be wrong on this but having been to the Caribbean
> dozen or so times I think I have it right.
>
> Micaylah
> -BTW, came in second at the jerky contest at War Practise this w/e!-

The subject line is correct as it stands.  The word jerky derives from the
American Spanish word charqui which is a corruption of the Quechua word
ch'arki.  All of which refer to sun or smoke cured meat.  The verb
describing the process is jerk.  So jerked meat is proper.

For the Caribbean meat dishes,  the word jerk is an adjective, for example,
jerk chicken (as opposed to jerked chicken).  In  this context, jerking is a
method of preparing and barbequing meat.  The derivation of the word is the
same as for jerky.

Ah, the joys of having a trivia trap for a mind.

Bear