SC - Low sodium requirements

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Tue Jul 14 07:46:44 PDT 1998

I think that a good low sodium jerky marinade would be a kind of
Teriakish that I have used for seasoning pork for stir fry.

Try the following:
2 tbs. honey,
2 tbs. cider vinegar (or possibly orange/pineapple juice),
2 tsp. low sodium Soy sauce
1 tsp. sake
2 tsp. fresh chopped ginger
1 tsp. finely minced onion
2 tsp. finely minced garlic
1/2 to 11/2 tsp. chopped Thai red pepper (depending on taste, how hot do
you want it?)

Whisk all together until the honey is dissolved
Slice the meat 1/4 inch thick, across the grain, and give it a good hard
stretch ( the "jerk" in jerky) to loosen the connective tissues.
Put the meat into a bowl, and cover with the marinade, and press down
into the marinade with a plate, and put in the fridge for 24 hours.
Every 8 hours or so remove the plate, and flip and stir up the meat.

After 24 hours prepare for drying:

Remove and Clean the top oven rack
Set the oven for 150-165 degrees (or "Warm" setting if analog oven)
Remove the meat from the marinade, and brush off any stuff clinging to
it. "Jerk" it again, gently this time, as the meat will be more fragile.
If desired, dredge the meat in cracked pepper at this point.
Skewer pieces of meat at one end, on bamboo skewers, and hang through
the cleaned rack.
Place a layer of foil on the bottom of the oven.
Place the loaded rack in the top most slot of the oven.
Put a chopsticks in the door, to ventilate the moisture, and dry the
meat.

Every hour or so, check the meat. when it cracks, it's ready!

I think that should be low enough sodium... at least to use as a treat.
Am I off base there?  I don't want to kill anyone. If any of the
ingredients are high in sodium, let me know, as I am trying to cut back
a little, too.

Brandu