SC - Kvass.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 16 16:18:38 PDT 1998

melc2newton at juno.com wrote:

> Here is some documentable stuff on Kvass from the Domostroi, which is a
> household rulebook from 16th C. Muscovy:

Do we have a more specific date for the Domestroi? I was under the
impression it was early 17th century...

> In chapter 65: Ordinary kvass. To brew ordinary kvass, Take four parts
> honey and strain it until it is clear. Put it in a jar and ferment it
> using an ordinary soft loaf, without additional yeast. When it is done,
> pour it into a cask.

Hmmm. I see the formula has changed, even allowing for local variatons.
I'm curious as to what role the bread plays in this preparation. There
seems to be nothing to convert the bread's starches to sugars, and since
it's baked, I doubt yeast comes from it.

> Little bits and pieces, I know, but the book was handy (i.e. I knew where
> it was) and decided to share. BTW, the Domostroi I have is edited and
> translated by Carolyn Johnston Pouncy, published by Cornell University
> 1994 ISBN 0-8014-2410-0

Cool! I figured there were older kvass recipes out there, the one I
posted is just one I happened to have, that I've made successfully, so I
know it works. I must get hold of that otheer recipe in Russian that I
spoke of; it is written on a trivet in a friend's kitchen.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com