SC - Spice cabinet-what do we stock?

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Jul 18 01:54:26 PDT 1998

>>> The list can go on and on... I am sure I've left some out... anyone
else> add to> this list?> > Meadhbh<<

Nick,

My study of period uses for sorrel indicate that it was generally used
fresh, to cook with fish, as it had the proper humors, and to make
substitute verjuice.  Possibly, when the sorrel came up in the spring,
but the verjuice grapes hadn't formed sufficiently.  I am collecting
sorrel uses and recipes, if anyone comes across mention of it, please
post me.  Platina mentions it, so the Epulario does, too, and the
Menagier suggests the verjuice, I think. Chiquart uses sorrel verjuice
with fish.

Don't forget thyme--over 400 varieties of it.  I just bought some
creeping red thyme.  Hope it's one of the edible ones.

Also, borage, lovage (I don't know what that is, but it's in some lists)
hyssop, tansy, rue, juniper berries.
Late period uses some orange and lemon peel, but I haven't yet come
across any mention of drying and keeping it as we do today.  They dried
and kept everything else, though.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com