SC - History of Taverns

Mon Jul 20 11:27:54 PDT 1998

Your questions are very broad with a number of nuances, depending on how
precisely you are using the language.  However, I'm tired of  editing
security files, so I'll drop some generalizations which should make some
fine targets.

Taverns were known in Antiquity.  Establishments which sold alcohol were
common around the Mediterranean seaports and inns that provided food, drink
and lodging existed along the overland trade routes.  Such businesses
provided a market for agricultural surpluses.

Taverns and inns are primarily urban entities.  They are found in towns and
villages which can provide the infra-structure such establishments need to
function best.  Of course, this does not preclude the inn or tavern being
the first structure on site.  The American experience with boom towns is
that the first business to open in a new community is a saloon.

Clientele, then as now, would be dependent upon location.  Dockside, one
would expect to serve sailors.  In town, an inn would serve it's
neighborhood and possibly travellers.  A country in would serve travellers
and the surrounding farms, and would likely need a viable yeomanry to
survive.  Along the Silk Road, you would serve caravans.

Providing beds and meals is probably a later innovation than providing
alcohol and supplies.  Commercial cooking got started in Rome during the 2nd
Century BC and by the 1st Century CE it was commonplace.  The European inn
may have derived from the commercial services of the Roman city.

Bear