SC - the experiment

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 21 07:27:44 PDT 1998

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> 3% acidity...
>
> This is a bit of a tricky term to use. Do you mean a 3% solution of
> acetic acid (the active bit of vinegar), or somthing close to it (w/w,
> w/v, or v/v)?

Unfortunately, I didn't grab the acetic acid from the lab.  If you look at
commercially sold vinegar, it is sold by percent acidity.  Now, if you
open up an introductory chemistry text (because you won't find it in
anything more advanced) it should talk about how the food industry and
non-scientists use percent acidity, though the rest of us use the more
meaningful pH.  But I believe the way it works is that the solution of x%
acidity is x% acid to 100-x% water.

Sorry for the odd nomeclature.

Cu drag,
Bogdan