SC - Re: OOP- interesting question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 21 08:54:49 PDT 1998

PhlipinA at aol.com wrote:

> Actually, Adamantius, one major group which doesn't produce lactase and is
> therefore lactose intolerant is found near the Mediterranean, though I can't
> remember who they are. The other two major groups who are lactose intolerant
> are, of course, the Asians and the Native Americans.

The latter two groups I knew about and wasn't referring to...I've been
working at this question, possibly bass-ackward, as the saying goes, by
trying to find places in Europe where no cheeses are produced. Still
haven't found such a place.

> Another ingredient that people have problems with is the high butterfat in
> Cow's milk.

Possibly, possibly. I don't believe, though, that there are other dairy
animals whose milk is less than the approximately 4% level found in
cow's milk. Most are higher, I believe.

> There are also bunches of different proteins which can cause problems in
> various people.

Agreed. This is the answer I was hoping to achieve, because my
suspicion, based on every other homeopathic practitioner I have ever
spoken to, was that the question had never been addressed before by a
homeopath, who, my own personal experience indicates, might well be
inclined to say something scientifically meaningless like, "It's the
milk itself." Now, if the homeopath has actually done his homework, and
doesn't simply avoid milk because it has a knee-jerk taboo taught by
another homeopath, or because things like lactose-reduced milk are not
naturally occuring, and are there fore evil, but says instead, "It's the
lactose, or the casein," or what have you, or even a simple "I dunno.",
that would be just fine. I just can't stand, personally, having to live
by rules because they are the rules, with no explanation. Most rules
make a good deal of sense, but not all.

> The least thought of cause for problems with milk is a lack of the proper
> intestinal flora and fauna- we have many intestinal symbiotes that are
> responsible for much of our digestion- and someone who has been placed on a
> heavy dosage of antibiotics, like the one child who was mentioned, may have
> had them killed off. I know when I've been on them for a while, as in after a
> couple of my surgeries, it takes me a while to be able to digest properly
> because of that.  Fortunately, my doctors are aware of the problem, and
> prescribe me tidy little pills which repopulate my innards for me.

Interesting and ironic: many doctors (homeopathic or otherwise)
recommend acidophilus for this, which comes from some strains of
Bulgarian yogurt, which is made from...ahem.

Conversely, I'm fascinated by the people who have yeast infections in
their GI tracts, and become intoxicated when eating certain starches and
sugars...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com