SC - Clarification-long

Brenna of Lyonsbane sunnie at exis.net
Wed Jul 22 18:04:23 PDT 1998

> An allergy is a physiological problem which is caused by the body rejecting
> certain substances and treating them like an infection, AFTER REPEATED
> EXPOSURE. It is impossible to be allergic on one's first exposure to
> anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The usual course of symptoms include excessive
> swelling at the infection site, as in bee stings, followed usually by hives,
> and then by swelling and inflammation of the mucus membranes. This latter
> inflammation can be so extreme as to block the breathing passages, leading to
> death by asphyxiation. This can happen extremely quickly, and a person can be
> clinically dead within 10 to 15 minutes. Asthma is very similar in all
> respects- some think it's the same thing.

I hate to disagree on this point milady, but I had an anaphylactic response to
e-mycin the FIRST time I ingested it.  Maybe allergies are easier to see on me
because an allergy (in a milder form) can set off my athsma.  In this case, it
shut me down hard and fast.  My face, hands, and throat were swollen and somewhere
between itchy and numb.  My doctor said it was a severe reaction, and I believe
him.  Who wants to do that again?

> Then there's psychological indigestion. Lord Ras and I were discussing this on
> the list several months ago. Although he can eat all the ingredients of a
> potato salad individually, if he were to eat the stuff, it would come up
> faster than it went down- even the smell makes him feel ill.

I experienced that when I was pregnant and got terribly ill on popcorn.  Only, I
just couldn't eat it for the rest of the pregnancy...I couldn't SMELL it without
being physically ill.  It is uncomfortable, but it is not an allergy, and it can
disappear suddenly.

> There are many other digestive problems, including ulcers, spastic colons, and
> the like, but they're NOT allergies!

Some people use the word for ANY reaction they have to a food.  It may not be an
allergy, but it is easier to avoid a dish offered by an aquaintance by saying that
you are allergic (rather than "Sorry, hun, but it gives me the runs bad!") without
hurting her feelings or shocking her than detailing your ailment in legnth.

Brenna