SC - Clarification-long

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed Jul 22 20:43:47 PDT 1998

Brenna of Lyonsbane wrote:

> > An allergy is a physiological problem which is caused by the body rejecting
> > certain substances and treating them like an infection, AFTER REPEATED
> > EXPOSURE. It is impossible to be allergic on one's first exposure to
> > anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The usual course of symptoms include excessive
> > swelling at the infection site, as in bee stings, followed usually by hives,
> > and then by swelling and inflammation of the mucus membranes. This latter
> > inflammation can be so extreme as to block the breathing passages, leading to
> > death by asphyxiation. This can happen extremely quickly, and a person can be
> > clinically dead within 10 to 15 minutes. Asthma is very similar in all
> > respects- some think it's the same thing.
>
> I hate to disagree on this point milady, but I had an anaphylactic response to
> e-mycin the FIRST time I ingested it.  Maybe allergies are easier to see on me
> because an allergy (in a milder form) can set off my athsma.  In this case, it
> shut me down hard and fast.  My face, hands, and throat were swollen and somewhere
> between itchy and numb.  My doctor said it was a severe reaction, and I believe
> him.  Who wants to do that again?

I must agree with the above statement of Anne Marie's. Allergy does occur after a
repeat exposure (an initial exposure is needed for the body to produce antibodies).
Erythromycin being a common antibiotic..... you could have received it as a child (it
is in combination with a another drug).  Also, you may have come in contact with a
compound of similar structure, developed antibodies that recognized erythromycin as
the offending agent. Happens a lot.

Off soap box

meadhbh
(who let the pharmacist in her out again)