SC - making liver pudding

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 26 19:26:09 PDT 1998

david friedman wrote:

> At 7:42 PM -0400 7/19/98, Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:
> >
> >Can anyone help me with documentation for meat dishes called puddings?  I know
> >that in my in-laws part of the country (a part of South Carolina settled by
> >Germans and thus called the "Dutch Fork") we make liver pudding.  You take the
> >organ meat, the tongue, some of the skin, and the well cleaned feet, and boil
> >it with salt, pepper,  cayennes, and onions until the liver begins to
> >disintegrate and the dish has begun to be gelatinous.  Cool it and either
> >shape it into cakes or stuff it into the pig intestines.  When cooled and
> >shaped, it is called liver pudding.
> >
> There are English 14th-15th c. dishes called jelly in various spellings
> which are meat or sometimes fish cooked down in wine and/or vinegar and/or
> water, the meat versions including pig's feet or calves' feet, wher you put
> the meat on a dish, strain the sauce, pour the sauce over the meat and let
> cool.  I don't know of any organ meat versions, and I can't remember any
> onions. It's not very close, but it is the closest I can think of.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

There are also late period (or possibly early post-period) recipes for
brawn that are made as Elizabeth describes, from a whole, boned-out pig,
or a portion thereof, pickled and cooked in a sort of white wine
court-bouillion, and allowed to set in iuts own naturally occurring
jelly. No liver or other organ meats, though, except perhaps the tongue,
which is basically a muscle meat. I think the problem might be that
disintegrated liver would spoil the clarity of the jelly, which many
eaters of such foods prize as a criterion for quality.

As for onions, I do know that those big raised pork pies eaten in
England today almost never include onions because they seem to keep less
well. Onion flavor and a yellowish color are derived from yellow onion
skins, which are then removed before the jelly sets inside the pie.

There are also numerous dishes varying from the basic theme of livering
puddings, which are made similarly to black or white puddings, but with
the addition of boiled, ground, crushed, pulverized, what have you,
liver added to the breadcrumbs, cream, etc. These are bascially along
the lines of things like liverwurst, although somewhat more starchy, to
the point where they can be cut and fried like scrapple or modern black
or white puds.

Somewhere along the line dishes like these probably began to be made
outside of the casings, and you might end up with something slightly
similar to what you're describing.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com