SC - Univ of Pennsylvania rare books

weymouth at netaxs.com weymouth at netaxs.com
Tue Jul 28 16:24:41 PDT 1998

Greetings,

An article ran in Sunday 7/25 Philadelphia Inquirer about the Aresty
Collection of rare cookbooks at the Van Pelt Library.  It's an
amazing collection of 576 books and 13 manuscripts including Scappi's
<Cooking Secrets of Pope Pius V>,1570; Platina's <De Honesta
Voluptate>, 1475 and a 1598 translation of  <Epulario>, 1516.
Also lots of nifty later period stuff.

I checked out the web site listed with the article.  Well written but
mostly general information.

       www.library.upenn.edu/special/gallery/aresty/aresty1.html

The Phila Inquirer site goes by "Phillynews" but I don't know the
exact address.

Fortunately the Van Pelt Library rare book rooms are open to those
"doing research."  I understand that it can be difficult to get in
mostly due to thefts in the past.  I've had difficulty in the past
getting into the main part of the library--rabid security guards.

Hope to see everyone at Pennsic
(8 days and counting and now I DO have a dog sitter, finally)

Aemilia Weymouth