SC - Canadian Bacon...aye!

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jul 28 08:38:39 PDT 1998

>	Canadian Bacon is actually the whole pork loin (same piece of
>meat as a beef tenderloin, think filet mingon) that has been smoked.  I
>actually believe that the term comes from the fur trapper days of
>Michigan and other northern fur states, but I could be wrong there.  I do
>not believe that Canadians use the term.

Being Canadian I don't ever think I've heard the term used commercially or
by other Canadians. Anything that isn't regular ole bacon is called back
bacon and according to my bronther in law who is pretty high up in the
Loeb/IGA chain says it is not sold in very great quantities. I guess we
prefer our bacon fat and "streaky"! Probably goes back to our colonial days!

Micaylah