SC - making liver pudding

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 28 16:33:08 PDT 1998

Marilyn Traber wrote:

> Anybody have a recipe for the type of liverworst found in the modern grocery stores?
> It is sort of a comfort food but I never thought to make it before, but I feel
> experimental lately-the bukenade proved very popular in the house, and with a few
> guys in my lord's division[they forgot to bring food and he had the only game in
> town!]
> margali

This is a bit coarser than the basic store-bought spreadable
braunschweiger, but it is a recognizable liverwurst, and a darned good
one, too. You can whiz it up in a food processor for a more uniform
grind. From the 1959 "The Luchow's German Cookbook" (Hubba Hubba!
Luchow's _was_ an extremely famous German restaurant in New York for
around 100 years, until they moved into the same building as a Broadway
theater and closed soon thereafter):

"PORK AND LIVER SAUSAGE
Leberwurst

2 pounds fresh fat pork belly
1/2 lb fresh pork shoulder
1 1/2 pounds fresh pork liver, chopped
2 onions, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried or fresh marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
Pork casings, washed and dried

Cut meat in small pieces. Combine with liver, onion, salt, and pepper.
Simmer 40 minutes. Add herbs; stir. Grind all coarsely. Stuff into
casings and tie. Cover with water; bring to a boil and boil 6 minutes.
Serves six or more."

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com