SC - Garbage

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Tue Jul 28 20:49:04 PDT 1998

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:43:18 EDT LrdRas at aol.com writes:
<SNIP>
>I hope this clarifies things a little. I always make :"garbage" at every
feast
>that I cook. It always gets eaten. Somehow explaining that the dish is
nothing
>but garbage stifles further questions by curiosity seekers. :-) I wish I
could
>share a "recipe" but I have been producing "Garbage".for 12 years and
the
>roots of it's origen are lost to me. It is one of the dishes that I now
call
>"period-like" .
>
>Ras

There is a recipe in Cariadoc’s Miscellany on Garbage.

	Garbage
	From Cariadoc’s Miscellany, Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992.
 	Two Fifteenth Century
	Take faire Garbage, chikenes hedes, ffete, lyvers, And gysers,
and wassh hem clene; caste hem into a faire potte, And caste fressh broth
of Beef, powder of Peper, Canell, Clowes, Maces, Parcely and Sauge myced
small; then take brede, stepe hit in + e same brothe, Drawe hit thorgh a
streynour, cast thereto, And lete boyle ynowe; caste there-to pouder
ginger, vergeous, salt, And a litull Safferon, And serve hit forthe.
	1 lb chicken livers 1/2 c fresh parsley, packed down
	1 lb chicken gizzards
	1 t fresh sage = 6 medium
	10.5 oz can conc. beef broth leaves
	1 can water
	3 1/2 oz bread = 2 slices homemade
	1/8 t pepper
	1/4 t ginger
	1/2 t cinnamon
	3 T verjuice
	1/8 t cloves
	1/2 t salt
	1/4 t mace
	10 threads saffron
	Cut up gizzards to remove the thin bits of gristle connecting the
lumps of meat. Wash and chop parsley and sage. Put broth, meat, herbs,
pepper, cinnamon, mace and cloves into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer
uncovered 1 hour 10 minutes. About 15 minutes before it is done
simmering, remove about 3/4 cup of the broth and tear up the bread into
it; let soak briefly and mash thoroughly with a mortar and pestle. Put
back into pot, bring back to a boil and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes,
add remaining ingredients and cook a couple of minutes, stirring, and
serve.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com