SC - Gay Kitchener

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 18:02:59 PDT 1998

As I see it, the original post about Gen. Kitchener being gay was simply a
comment that some people might find it offensive that there was a rumor that
he was gay.  I can't disagree with that.  It is possible that some people
might find it offensive.  I find it offensive that anyone would care about his
sexual preferences at this late date.  Surely after eighty years his civil and
military deeds should stand on their own.
However, the poster is correct.  Some people are so homophobic that the
sexuality of a WWI General is a threat to them.  I wonder what they would have
made of the Janissaries.

In any case, I wouldn't allow their sickness to affect my choice of title for
myself.  If I choose to call myself Sappho because I am a playwright, it may
have little to do with her reknown sexual preferences.  Her reputation is that
she was second only to Homer, and possibly better, even though the main body
of her work has been lost forever.

Mordonna